Thursday, April 29, 2010

School...

Sorry it's been so long since I posted! School/Work has been crazy busy. I'm not allowed to put up pictures of my students on my blog so I thought I would post some pictures of the classroom. This first picture is outside my classroom. Our classroom name is the penguins (given by the school) and so here is our first day of school bulletin board.



Our first unit is about sea life and so the kids made these jelly fish for one of our bulletin boards.


I decided to do a tree on one wall so that I only have to change it each season. I really hate bulletin boards and so this one is nice to know I only have to put up 4 times.


Here is my word wall. Every classroom has to have a word wall. We put up the words per level so slowly my word wall will become more filled.

Anyways we share our classroom with an immersion friend's club teacher and so the other 2 walls are hers.
Tomorrow (or tonight) I will post some pictures of the Sakura (Cherry Blossom) festival that we went to and from our bowling adventure last night.

9 comments:

JENNY said...

cute classroom!!

Kyla said...

love the classroom!!! So cute! That tree is my fav.

Anonymous said...

HI Melanie, I LOVE your word wall could you tell me how you did it EXACTLY??

davanhove said...

I LOVE your word wall also. I want to do that in my classroom too. Could you tell us how you did it? Thanks! ;)

Melanie said...

Thanks for y'alls comments! I made the word wall from construction paper and I was pretty anal about it so here is how I did it:

I first measured my wall to see how much space I had and how big I needed each piece to be. Can't remember exactly how big each piece was but essentially I overlapped two 12x8 pieces of paper with double sided tape (I do NOT like staples ha).

I then made a miniature version on white paper to see what colors I wanted near each other. Crazy I know!

After I had all my colors decided and arranged I began to staple them up on my wall. I put a staple in each corner as near to the edge as possible.

Once that was finished I used an Xacto knife to cut black paper into 3/4 inch strips. I used double side tape on the back of those to outline each square thus covering up all staples. I also double side taped my words up which I realized was a huge mistake because it made the word wall unusable for next year when I went to take them down. Staples would have been a better idea for that one.

I also cut my letters out with this awesome electronic di-cut machine and double side taped those up.

Enjoy!

Jen said...

Where did you find your lime green constuction paper?

michee said...

Hi...I was just wondering. You said that you used 12x8 paper. Did you mean 12x9 or 12x18 or did you really mean 12x8? I guess I'm trying to figure out if you used a large or small piece of paper?

Unknown said...

Really wonderful classroom! I love it :)

Anonymous said...

Amazing!!!!!!
Wonderful ideas! It must be a pleasure and wonderful experience for a child to be a part of your classroom!